Scope and Objectives
ViMM Working Group 3.2 will focus the following aspects:
Starting from an existing metadata element set (CIDOC-CRMdig, LIDO) and relating to the standards identified by ViMM Thematic Area 1, WG 3.2 experts will analyze the applicability of these sets for the documentation of 3D objects. Relevant metadata elements will be identified. Metadata elements that might be missing for an accurate documentation will be listed as recommendable.
The DEMES metadata element set, a standard developed for describing digital exhibitions, will serve as a starting point for the analysis of metadata for the documentation of virtual and digital exhibitions. WG experts will examine this metadata element set (DEMES and if available other sets) with regard to its suitability for documentation of digital and virtual exhibitions. It will be inquired if further metadata elements are necessary for a comprehensive documentation. In the frame of this WG digital and virtual exhibitions will be analyzed; in a second step metadata elements collected by experts will be discussed.
WG 3.2 will also try to identify examples of citizen science projects that help improving the documentation of virtual cultural heritage in general and digital and virtual exhibitions in specific. Definitions provided by Thematic Area 1 (WG 1.2) will be considered and if relevant serve as a basis for the analysis undertaken in this WG (e.g. definition of ‘virtual exhibition’ versus ‘digital exhibition’ etc.). The findings of this WG will be shared with ViMM WG 1.2 regularly. Cross-project collaboration will take place throughout the lifetime of this WG. SKP will make available the outputs of WG 3.2 regularly on the ViMM platform.
- Identify metadata elements which describe single elements, objects, entities and actions of a Virtual Museum.
- Analyse the metadata using DEMES metadata element.
- Give a list of examples to further improve the documentation of virtual cultural heritage.
- A list of metadata elements for the documentation of 3D objects.
- A list of metadata elements for the documentation of virtual exhibitions.
- A list of citizen science project relevant for the documentation of virtual cultural heritage.
Working Group members:
Giuliana de Francesco, MIBACT
Gordon McKenna, CT
Pedro Santos, Fraunhofer